Video Game Addiction & Internet Addiction Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Video Game Addiction & Internet Addiction Forum

The TechAddiction.ca support forum. Meet, support, and learn from other gamers or internet users who are struggling with an online or gaming addiction. For even more information, visit the main site at www.techaddiction.ca

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Welcome from TechAddiction

Go down 
+3
Cranum
phil
Brent
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Brent
Admin
Brent

Welcome from TechAddiction Empty
PostSubject: Welcome from TechAddiction   Welcome from TechAddiction Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 6:12 pm

Hi!

This is Brent from TechAddiction.ca - welcome to the support forum. If you have arrived here from the main site you probably already know that I am a Clinical Psychologist who specializes in helping people who have become addicted to video games or the internet.

Of course, unless you happen to live in eastern Canada, seeing me in person is rather difficult. TechAddiction was started as way to promote healthy (moderate) online time and gaming and to provide reputable & (hopefully) helpful information for people dealing with excessive use - regardless of where they happen to live.

Since starting the site, I have continued to add new information, tips, news, videos, and most recently, a downloadable self-help workbook. Adding a support forum was the next logical step. Although there are more and more people who are struggling with excessive internet or video game use, there are also more and more people out there who are overcoming these problems. My hope is that this forum will allow members to support, encourage, and provide suggestions for others who are trying to regain control of their lives.

I'll be checking into the forum when I can, but I really want this to be more about learning from and encouraging healthier habits for fellow users.

One final point: I am often asked about whether I play video games myself. I am definitely not "anti-gaming" and see very little wrong with moderate use as long as it does not interfere with other more important areas of life. Plus, given that I work in this area, it is kind of nice to know something about the games first hand, don't you think?

Welcome again,

Brent
Back to top Go down
http://www.techaddiction.ca
phil

PostSubject: thank   Welcome from TechAddiction Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 8:32 am

Thank you Brent for starting this board.

I see that it isn't very used but I would like to try to start the discussion.

I have been using computers since I was 8 years old and now I think it's definite that I have a problem.

I will try to check this board often and contribute so others will discover it.

I think by talking we can help each other break the chains of computer addiction.

Thankyou
Back to top Go down
Cranum

PostSubject: Re: Welcome from TechAddiction   Welcome from TechAddiction Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 2:20 am

How does this blog work? I need recommendations on how to get my son to recognize he is addicted to gaming and how to get him to stop. It is obvious to me that every waking hour spent gaming; boredom with everything else in his life; ignoring all friends and family; and disinterest in eating is evident of an addiction problem.
Back to top Go down
runningbear1

PostSubject: Re: Welcome from TechAddiction   Welcome from TechAddiction Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi, I'm a Mom of a young adult who has great difficulty turning off the video game machine at night, so can't get up on time and is late for everything. I find it very frustrating, and I tell him just turn off the machines, and he says "I can't". I was seaching for help on-line and came across this forum, and am hoping that it may be something that could help him.
Back to top Go down
IntoTheGame

PostSubject: Re: Welcome from TechAddiction   Welcome from TechAddiction Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 12:32 am

hi, im a young adult who just came to realize that im addicted to video games. my addiction started with the computer game starcraft. i played it as soon as i got home from school, untill i was forced off it at night, and on weekends/holidays i would wake up, get on the game and also wouldnt stop untill i was physically unable to play the game, or realized it was really late.(which doesnt happen too often when your into the game)my friends would invite me to do activities, and stuff i normally did before i got my computer, but i never wanted to go(lost the majority of my friends). i ate my meals beside the computer, i got up only to get food, drinks, and use the washroom. my meals were made for me so eating wasnt a big problem. i was a growing boy at the age of 13. i played starcraft for almost 4 years. i no longer own a working computer, so i had to stop playing it. but there were a few other games inbetween starcraft that i was addicted to also. not realizing it at the time, i just thought it was fun, and im a competitive person(with video games)so i would keep playing to get better then everyone else.

now i have an xbox360. and i spend about 50-200$ a month on new games. extra money of course. and now i play xbox when i get off work, sometimes untill 6-7 am. depending on when i have to be awake for work. i do the basic cleaning of my apartment(VERY BASIC) i clean my living room where i play my games, other things way less then a normal person does. i live on my own so i no longer have my meals made for me, so i do not eat unless im so hungry i feel super sick. i eat only things that i can microwave, or eat out of the bag/wrapper, ect. quick easy fixes. some days i can play xbox over 16 hours a day, and i only stop when my xbox freezes, or i go out with my friends. ive overcome the ignoring friends by them being at my place, playing video games with me. but i prefer to play alone. they get me out of the house, and doing things with them. so im very grateful. during last summer i actually changed my days/nights around to accomidate the video game i was playing(faster server speed @ night) im probably saying way to much for an introduction, but ive never been on a forum before, was more into playing the games, then discussing them with others. unless in the chat rooms that come with the game or w.e.

my life is in shambles because of my neglect of everything but my job.(need to pay the bills somehow) i would love to recieve help on making my life not revolve around video games. of course video games are fun(ironic from an addicted person) i would like to continue playing them, but only a reasonable ammount, i want to learn how to just turn off the game without completeing the level. or the game session. i would appreciate any and all feedback from this post, i need to get my life back on track but i dont know where to start!
Back to top Go down
Hacks

Hacks

PostSubject: Hello   Welcome from TechAddiction Icon_minitimeFri Nov 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Thanks for the site Brent, and this forum.

I'm a chronic game player and have been since I was a kid. When I was young and had lots of time and few responsibilities, it wasnt a problem. Now I'm married, have a career and kids. I love playing games, but they are a time-sink, and I have tried to control my game playing for years, with limited success--err--- zero success, since I'm posting here.

You name it and I've played it... the worst of the worst for me have been First Person Shooters, and Blizzard games... currently World Of Warcraft.

I'm posting here to chat with others with the same addiction, offer my support to them, and hopefully get some support too.

Back to top Go down
tdoe

PostSubject: Re: Welcome from TechAddiction   Welcome from TechAddiction Icon_minitimeSun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 pm

Hello, my name is tonya, im 21. I am engaged to a game addict... it is driving me crazy and i have no one to talk to. He sits in the same place pretty much all day and gets quite angry at me for suggesting to do anything else. he is distant .... which isnt good since im around six months pregnant. im losing it.... i dont know what to do....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcome from TechAddiction   Welcome from TechAddiction Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welcome from TechAddiction
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Video Game Addiction & Internet Addiction Forum :: TechAddiction.ca - Support Forum :: TechAddiction Meet & Greet-
Jump to: